Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Traders Point Creamery

Dear Friends and Family,

Traders Point Creamery is a family owned artisan dairy. Clearly a family farm in the process of discovering itself. "We believe in "nourishing the land that nourishes us all." This means preserving the family farm and continuing our grandparents' legacy of sensible, sustainable, low-input agriculture."

And, for us Midwesterners, they sell their products through a variety of outlets. I'm going to check them out at the local Farmer's market here in town. I like the idea of food from a place where you've seen the farm.

Dinner is served in the loft of the barn. They have indoor and outdoor seating. Since I was still in a semi-stupor from the day's heat, we opted for indoor seating. They have a window to the cheese room where you can see the cheeses aging.

I ordered the spring greens with balsamic vinaigrette for an appetizer and Mr. mouse ordered the Thai corn bisque. The salad was a nice mix of sweet and bitter greens with some of the best tomatoes I've had in a long time. The vinaigrette was an excellent emulsion of balsamic and olive oil with just the right amount of tang. It went well with the salad and with the bread basket. Mr. mouse's corn bisque had several Thai flavors blended in, curry, coconut, lime, cilantro. I tried a spoonful. It was delicious.

For our main course, I ordered the margherita pizza and Mr. mouse ordered the veal marsala with herbed angel hair pasta. The plates are simple. The presentation is simple. The food is excellent. The pizza crust was crisp on the bottom, chewy in the middle. The tomato sauce. My god, where do these folks get their tomatoes from?!?! And, the cheese, just enough to make the pizza work. Mr. mouse's veal was tender and the sauce was a well executed marsala. I stole all of his mushrooms, since he doesn't like them, and put them on my pizza. Mmm. We saved half the pizza and a veal cutlet for lunch on Sunday, which left us just enough room (and points) to order dessert!

I got the strawberry ice cream and the chocolate ice cream. Mr. mouse ordered the vanilla and the blackberry. The ice cream is super dense and creamy and chock full of flavor. My strawberry was more strawberry and my chocolate was more chocolate than any other ice cream. Mr. mouse ate his and the half of mine I had left over. I don't blame him.

All in all, a place that's clearly in its infancy. Excellent food. Good service. Beautiful loft. And a farm that's dedicated to organic, local agriculture. I'm glad we went and were able to support them. It was delicious.

Overall rating: 8/10

Traders Point Creamery
9101 Moore Road
Zionsville, IN 46077 map it
(317) 733-1700
http://www.traderspointcreamery.com


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

Oh my gosh, this sounds amazing. I really wish they were RIGHTHEREBYME!

I'm going to send this link to my girls dinner group - one has family near there and might actually be able to partake!

xoxoxo