Tuesday, June 12, 2007

06.11.07: The City of Saints

Dear Friends and Family,

We were back in Montreal for the Formula One Grand Prix du Canada F1 race. And, like last year, it was an excellent opportunity to catch up with old friends and enjoy the race.

We flew into Ottawa, Friday night, because the Montreal flights were packed with race fans, and we drove up to Montreal from there. We got in close to midnight and crashed for the night.

The next morning, we awoke to a beautiful Saturday, breakfast of fresh fruit and the most amazing croissant ever. It was so good. I'm totally behind on food write ups, but that's one I'm totally looking forward to.

We took the metro out to the race and started the long hike to our seats. We got there just in time for qualifying and watched Lewis Hamilton get his first pole position. I really like him. Kimi Räikkönen is still my favorite driver, but Hamilton, he's growing on me. After a nap in the sun, we walked around the park and I bought my first ever Ferrari shirt - to show my support for Kimi. I have to say, I wasn't sure of my ability to "carry" the tank, but it worked.


The thing has just enough stretch in it to make it work. I'm in love with my Finn. Mr. mouse hummed the Darth Vader theme as I put it on. Talk about melodrama.

We went to the Honda tent before heading back. And, they had the coolest demo ever. I love robots. It must be from my days working on them in undergrad. And, it was so cool! I had tears in my eyes from the sheer joy of it. I was blown away cool. Wow!


Okay. Back to reality.

We got back to the house and found an impromptu deck furniture assembly party in progress. With our expertise from last summer, we jumped into the foray. A couple of hex nuts, a couple of minutes and voilà. Time for drinks on the patio and dinner. A couple of friends and Fred's parents rounded out the mix. Grilled lobster, chicken, filet mignon, champagne, champignon, aubergine and an amazing salad made for dinner followed by sorbet (not cassoulet) and cake/tart for dessert.

Sunday. Race day. Another croissant, this time I had the chocolate croissant, and more fruit for breakfast. Off to the races. Our neighbor, the Dad from Minnesota, called during the first couple of laps, but it's too loud to have any sort of conversation. Four safety cars, one horrible rollover, a couple of black flags and before you knew it Hamilton had won his first Grand Prix. We jumped the fence and ran to the podium in time for the trophy presentation and champagne. Woot!

Then, it was a quick bolt to the metro to the car to the airport. We had dinner in the airport and took our planned flight home. Fantastique!


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: