Monday, August 20, 2007

08.20.07: I <3 NY

Dear Friends and Family,

It feels good to be up and blogging.

Friday, we ate dinner and went up to the roof to get away from the houseful of clutter. With Turkey and the conference, the house still needs some love and attention to get to a non-crazy state. After watching a couple of videos, we promptly fell asleep. It was a little chilly and I got a couple of bug bites. I guess it can't be perfect up there every night. You'd get spoiled.

Saturday morning, we got up early and packed for a quick trip to the Big Apple. One of my best friends from college had a baby a month ago, and this was our chance to meet him and see her. We flew in to New Jersey, picked up our rental car, ate lunch, picked up a gift, and dropped by my mom's store. Guess what?!?! My mom didn't recognize me! Between the weight loss and the new haircut (more on that later) and the new dress, she took a couple of minutes before recognizing me. How cool is that? We only had an hour with her before we needed to head down for the banquet.

My friend is doing amazing. She looks a little tired, but that's probably because she's already back at work. The baby is doing great. He's about nine pounds now and I held him. He's officially the first baby I've tried holding. There have been other very brief Kodak moments, but this was for almost five minutes. I did okay. He didn't cry of anything. Go, mouse. Dinner was a very lavish affair. The banquet was 18 courses, almost all seafood. We each had our own canteen of shark's fin soup. OMG. I ate a month's worth of meals in one night. I even skipped four courses at the end - the rice, the noodles, the fruit, and the dessert soup. Between catching up with everyone, the mom, her brother, and one of my other college friends; and the food; it was definitely worth the trip.

We drove over to Mr. mouse's dad's place after the banquet. We chatted for a couple of hours before turning in for the night. Fortunately, Mr. mouse checked on flights Saturday night and noticed that we should take that the first flight home instead of the later morning flight we originally had planned. It was early, but we sludged through it and made it home. In hindsight, it was worth it because we would have spent the ENTIRE day at the airport otherwise.

But, back to Sunday morning. On our walk home, we walked past a bakery and picked up some breakfast. Then, we went to the farmer's market and picked up some fruits and vegetables. We got home. Ate. Then, Mr. mouse napped while I cleaned out and organized the fridge. It took almost two hours but it was totally worth it. We tossed most of the food from pre-Turkey. And, I cleaned all of the bins and shelves and walls and everything. It looks SO much better now. When did it get so gross?

We ate lunch. Then, I napped while Mr. mouse tackled the bathrooms and laundry. He was probably thinking the same thing about the bathrooms. We hit the supermarkets for the first time in a long time. We had a super simple dinner - salmon on top of mixed greens with crab bisque. We made stock a long time ago - and added lump crab meat and a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream to the stock. It was super easy. I'm totally jazzed about making more stock.

We finished up the night making some more food. I tried making a bulgur salad and Mr. mouse made ice cream with the leftover heavy cream. And, we did a little more clean up and organization. It's almost looking livable again.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: