Thursday, August 30, 2007

Multi-Vitamins Follow-Up

Dear Friends and Family,

I just got my re-fill order of Canyon Ranch Multi-Vitamins. I started taking them vs. my normal Centrum vitamins on June 7th. I figured if I felt a difference, I would continue with the new. If not, I would return to Centrum.

From a completely qualitative assessment, I feel marginally better. But, not enough to justify the higher cost. From a more quantitative assessment, I think I can justify the switch.

From a weight loss perspective, I was at a eight week plateau when I started taking the vitamins. And, seven weeks (ten pounds) later, I hit my goal week. Coincidence? Entirely possible. But, it's also possible that I was missing some key nutrients (18 points a day doesn't go very far) and that that was slowing my weight loss.

There's another data point I've been assessing. A lot of the vitamins are water soluble, so your first "pee" after taking the vitamin is bright yellow. The weeks I eat healthier, the color is neon yellow. The weeks I eat junk, the color is pale yellow. Different absorption rates, implying sometimes I need more and sometimes I need less. Centrum never had this impact.

All that said, not only did I re-order the multi-vitamins, but I also ordered some new pills. I ordered a three month supply. I'll do the same experiment. Take them and assess.


The Omega 3/6 Formula helps ensure you get adequate amounts of high-quality fatty acids. In other words, it's taking fish oil for Omega 3 with some borage seed oil for Omega 6. There's a lot of theory on the benefits of both. Here's my rough summary.

We (aka "humans") used to consume roughly equal amounts of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Given our new diets, we consume roughly 25X more omega 6 than 3. So, the pills help even out the balance. Now, onto the technical mumbo jumbo. Omega 3 acids contain EPA and DHA, two acids that are used by the body to promote PG3 prostaglandins. Weird, that's not in spell check. Huh. With me so far? Okay, PG1 (good) helps to reduce allergies, prevent inflammation, and improve immune response. PG2 (bad) stimulates allergy response, promotes inflammation, and suppresses immune response. PG3 (the stuff in my pills) blocks the release of PG2.

Wow. That was a heavy duty post for a morning when Mr. mouse and I both overslept. Off to get ready for work. Will have a follow-up in roughly three months.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

good for you mouse - i have to do a similar assessment with my naturopath in 2 weeks...um, except that I need to reschedule the appt because I'm not so much going to be in town! ;) xoxoxoxo