Saturday, August 11, 2007

Wednesday: A Confluence of Friends and Family

Dear Friends and Family,

Wednesday we flew into Izmir to meet up with our friends for their wedding. A bunch of their friends and family were flying, driving and bussing in on Wednesday so it was a chance for everyone to meet everyone.

What We Did

We packed our bags and headed to the airport Wednesday morning for our flight to Izmir. Our friend picked us up at the airport and we dropped off our stuff at his place. From there, we went rug shopping! After looking at dozens, we picked two we liked and then let my friend’s aunt haggle the price for us. From what I can gather, we paid about ⅔ of the asking price. I don’t feel so bad about yesterday anymore.


We went to meet my friend’s dad, and several cousins and uncles at the bakery, before heading out for more errands. Our friend dropped us off at the water front while he went to get a manicure and bought a new shirt. Then, it was off to dinner with a bunch of the family and friends. I recognized two people from dinner in Chicago. And, it was so nice to meet my friend’s mom. His parents are the sweetest people in the world. If I could bottle them and take them home, I would, in a heartbeat.

What We Ate

For breakfast, I had the last of the hotel fruit with a simit (the sesame bagel) we purchased the night before. Lunch was a delicious, but scary, affair of chocolate pudding, éclairs and baklava. I had such a sugar rush afterwards. Mr. mouse bought me some sliced turkey to round out my system. Get it? Turkey in turkey. Ha! Ha! Ha!






Dinner was at my friend’s favorite restaurant growing up. We had a long table for fifteen and ordered a ton of food. Mr. mouse got a pide which is almost like a thin crust pizza. It was topped with ground beef and egg. And, it was one of those irresistible, have one more bite, kind of dishes. I got the vali kebab which is an assortment of kebab meats. It was excellent, but I’m sure I went way over on my points last night. I’m beginning to think the next couple of days are going to be killer on my maintenance. But, then again, I never really stressed while on vacation. It’s not the 2 weeks on vacation that get you it’s the 50 weeks at home that determine what you weigh.

What I Learned

I love his friends and family. Everyone we met yesterday was all smiles and welcome. I’m glad we made the time to come out to Turkey for the wedding. I understand him better now that I’ve met his parents and his aunt and his uncles and his cousins.


Cheers!
mouse

PS: Found internet access at the airport lounge. Uploading Wednesday's post. Thursday, Friday and Saturday still need to be written. Will most probably write them on our next leg and post them when I get home.

No comments: