Monday, May 11, 2009

05.11.09 (Week 40, Day 3) Where to Begin?!?!

Dear Friends and Family,

Let's start with the here and now and then we'll backtrack to the weekend...

We're at the hospital, in labor & delivery. Cervix is at 5 cm. Pitocin's at 6 ml/min. Epidural went in about an hour and half ago. Just trying to take it all in stride.

So, rewind to our appointment on Friday. Our doctor recommended we come in on Monday to be induced since I've been so dilated. And, later in the afternoon, we got a call from the scheduler with a time slot for our induction.

May the angst begin.

Essentially, we were torn between coming in and waiting. On the one hand I wanted Pioneer to be born since I was still afraid of something going wrong the last couple of days. And on the other hand, I wanted to give them as much time to develop as possible and I was enjoying the bond we had been sharing the past 10 months together. Plus both Mr. mouse and I had a marginal inclination towards letting Mother Nature take its course.

So we spent the entire weekend talking ourselves in circles.

Saturday, we went out for brunch and then I napped while Mr. mouse ran some errands. Then, we both dived into housework. I tackled the kitchen while Mr. mouse cleaned the car, weeded the front lawn and repaired a couple of loose boards on our stairs.

We ate fried rice for dinner and then did a quick Target run before turning in for the night.

Sunday, we skipped our usual F1 brunch routine and instead spent the morning enjoying the quiet time at home. We had pasta for lunch and called the doctor's office to cancel the induction. The doctor on call gave us several good reasons to keep it and told us to think about it...

We packed our bags and headed out for the day. We decided to go to the aquarium, our first quasi-date together almost 15 years ago. While at the aquarium, the contractions started and we headed home.

Mr. mouse did some work while I zoned on the couch. Then, we both had sandwiches for dinner (tuna fish for me, crab cake for Mr. mouse) with tortilla chips and salsa. And we drove out for ice cream before calling the doctor.

We called and no surprise, they told us to come in. We were admitted and brought up to our room. I have to admit, the first part was harrowing. I was struggling with all the stuff going on and I felt bad for Pioneer - for all the stuff we were subjecting them to without good reason. I really struggled with it when they broke my water. But now, I've settled into a better spot and am more focused on the future and meeting Pioneer than on the past and missing Pioneer.

Pitocin just increased to 8 ml/min. Thank goodness for my epidural. I'm really glad I can still feel Pioneer's movements. I would have really been torn if I had to trade off pain management for sharing the last day with them.

May write more later today. May not. Will play it by ear.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: