Monday, May 18, 2009

05.18.09: Blog, what Blog?

Dear Friends and Family,

In focusing on our priorities, other things (e.g. sleep, blog, life) has been put on the back burner for the moment. I'm motivated to keep the blog current since I know I'll be glad I captured the special moments when I look back on it.

The Weekend (people who came over to see Pioneer)
  • Fri: B and Chef M
  • Sat: my sister and brother-in-law
  • Sun: my childhood friend from Miami
The rest of the weekend was spent perfecting our light box technique and trying to get some calories into Pioneer.

Pioneer (aka Our Hairy Little Monster and/or Poopy Diaper Queen and/or Little P)

Pioneer continues to grow and mature. Mr. mouse and I had a moment to catch our breaths the other night and remarked on the changes we've seen during the first week.

She's a lot more alert now and observing the world around her. She follows voices and makes eye contact. There are times we want to take her out of her light box and play with her. But, we sigh and try to take the long term view - right now she needs light time (to reduce the bilirubin) and sleep time (so she's awake to feed).

She recognizes Mr. mouse and me. I'm sure it's all short term memory, but still there's something about it.

She's clearly learning. For example, breastfeeding - she's building upon her experience day by day. Granted there are still good feeds and bad feeds, but she's learning what works and what doesn't.

She slept through the night last night. Granted, she wasn't supposed to. We were supposed to wake her at 4:30 for a feeding. But, nonetheless, we're cautiously optimistic she'll be a good sleeper, she was in-utero.

And, last but not least, today, shortly after her one week "birthday" celebration, she lost her umbilical cord stump.

mouse

The weight continues to drop. Twenty-eight pounds to go. For now, still eating to keep sane vs. picking up Weight Watchers. There's too many things I'm already tracking.

Done with the water bottle, the Motrin, and soreness in my right arm. Not bad for one week out of the hospital. Lochia bleeding continues, but is very manageable.

Trying to stay sane and not let the cumulative sleep deprivation get to me. Also trying to maintain perspective on Pioneer and the light box and weight loss challenges. If we can get the light box behind us tomorrow (knock on wood) then we'll be able to focus on getting her plumped up. I'm all for whacking one mole until it's done before tackling the next mole.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: