Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Night Two

Dear Small,

It's two in the morning and not a creature was stirring, except maybe a mouse.

Your Dad's asleep now. And, I think you're falling asleep. But, I'm up.

I just want to capture some thoughts and memories for you when you're older and want to know more about this time of your life.

I remember a conversation I'd have with you often "How ya doing, P?". Then, I'd wait and reply... "mmm..." You seem to respond to the mmm's now.

And, your dad would speak to you before you were born, and those sounds still soothe you now.

And, the last trimester, I was craving ice cold drinks, especially ice cold Diet Coke and Caffeine Free Diet Coke. And, you didn't like it at all. We guessed you didn't like the cold stomach on your warm butt. And, now, you scream when you feel the cold wipes when your Dad changes you.

You've got us both enchanted with the left eye open and right eye closed look, although you've had a couple of times today when you had both eyes open and that's a good look on you as well.

You've had two superstar feeds today when you latched on and ate like a champ. There was the big burp this morning that we got a good laugh out of. And, I cried tears when I made you cry. Those were your first tears and they were from frustration when I wouldn't let you unlatch. You've been a champ since then.

You've had a couple of moments today when you were awake and wanted to engage us in play time. Those are, of course, my favorite moments. You almost smile and we see the happiness in your eyes. You're a happy baby, P, and for that your Dad and I are grateful.

You had your first visitor today, P, my friend from work. She was so glad to see you and so taken with you. I know everyone will be jealous when they find out she was able to come and see you. And, of course, work related, there's the funny email. Our admin took your stats (and mine) and added some pictures and sent it to everyone. I'm sure we'll all get a good laugh out of that years from now.

Your grandma saw your pictures online tonight. And, she thinks you look like your Dad. And, your Dad thinks you look like him as well. I hope, as you grow, you look like neither me nor your Dad, but like a combination of the both of us because, ideally, I'd love for you to be the best part of both of us.

And, one last thing, you lost 7% of your body weight when they weighed you today. It's enough to worry the nurses and I hope we don't have to supplement with formula. I hope we make better progress tomorrow.

And, one more thing, when you were born yesterday, I noticed some vernix on your back before they washed you off. That must mean you had some in all of your cracks and crevices. Now, you still have lanugo on your back and your upper arms, thighs and forehead. It's cute to rub it. Your skin, it's as soft as can be imagined. I love rubbing your face against mine.

Okay, your Dad's up now as well, since you woke about 20 minutes ago with a wet diaper. So, I'm going to wrap and pretend I'm asleep so he doesn't worry.

Goodnight, P.


Love,
your mom

No comments: