Thursday, May 14, 2009

And, what about mouse?

Dear Friends and Family,

It's 5:30 and I'm up and while life is different, there are aspects that are comfortingly the same.

Mr. mouse made me my morning coffee and moved my "morning chair" into the nursery. And, here I am, with my blog and my cuppa Joe, feeling a sense of comfort in a familiar routine.

All things considered, I'm doing well, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Let's not kid ourselves, the body doesn't feel like it did last summer before Pioneer. I'm down weight wise from last weekend, but there's still 33.5 pounds of pregnancy weight being carted around. Some of that is the fluids that they pumped me up with while at the hospital. Some of that is the breast engorgement that started yesterday. And, some of that is stuff still settling down. I'm not going to sweat it much for the next week and change. Tuesday, May 26th will be when I start Weight Watchers in earnest. Until then, I'm just focusing on the rest of my physical healing.

I had (at least according to my doctor) one teeny, tiny tear in my perineum when delivering Pioneer that she stitched up. Between that and general tenderness and bruising, I'm doing the water bottle and warm shower routine for the next two weeks. I completed my ice pack routine while at the hospital. And, I'll stay on my Motrin until the pain subsides.

The uterus continues to shrink. The lochia (aka bleeding) is no worse than a menstrual cycle. I've been fortunate in that I haven't had to deal with blood clots or anything really nasty. The abdomen is a lot less tender than it was yesterday. I have a sore spot on my left thigh from lying in one position throughout labor which continues to improve. And, my other physical malady is soreness in my right arm from a TD vaccine I received while at the hospital.

Mentally, I'm in a great spot. I've been trying to balance savoring the moments with staying on top of the mounting to do list with getting enough rest to maintain perspective. Mr. mouse has been a trooper in this department which shouldn't surprise anyone who knows anything about the either of us. I think we're both in a very happy place right now.

And, last but not least, emotionally, it is what it is. At least I recognize that a lot of it is hormonal shifts I just need to acknowledge. And, some of it is that I get emotional around major life changes. And, the tiny remaining piece of it is that we've been through a lot in a short period of time and it's normal to feel a little overwhelmed and it's okay to ask for help. I've had a couple of teary moments when I needed to collect myself. But, all in all, the number of major meltdowns can still be counted on one hand.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

well done mom, sounds like you're taking everything well in stride. glad you're feeling better physically...that's some tough work you've accomplished! xoxoxo