Sunday, May 24, 2009

Internet Outage Post Catch Up (1 of 3): Random Wednesday Morning Thoughts

Dear Friends and Family,

Our internet connection is down, but instead of troubleshooting it, I'm going to write my post in notepad and upload it later. Morning time is too precious to spend on troubleshooting technology.

It's Wednesday and I need to get a grip on reality. The days and weeks are going too quickly and there's "stuff" that needs to ge taken care of - bills to pay, insurance forms to file, etc. I'm going to attempt to make some progress on some fronts today. For the next three days, here are my Top 3:

Feeding Pioneer: Pioneer needs to gain back her birth weight. We've got to crack the code on how to get some poundage on her.

Baby Book: I want to stay on top of filling out the baby book. I know it's one of those things that once you fall behind on, it's really tough to catch up on. And, it'll be important to us later on in life.

Aministrivia: I need to get through all of the random paperwork that needs to get filed. Friday marks the end of week 2 of my 12 week leave. It's going too quickly.

Pioneer had her first bath last night. We gave her a sponge bath from the neck down, being careful to avoid her belly button stump which is still healing. She smelled beautifully clean afterwards and her skins was so smooth. I can see how parents fall in love with bathing their babies. It's fun and they're so cuddly afterwards.

What else have I noticed? I've noticed that Pioneers belly is getting rounder and fuller when she eats. I'm hopeful that it's an indicator we're getting some food into her, but it could just be that she has the round Buddha belly all babies have. I've noticed that sometimes there are faint lines in her eye lids and I wonder what the final shape of her eyes will be. She still spends a lot of time with her eyes closed so it's tough to tell. And, last but not least, I've noticed that she has no moles. Mr. mouse and I have lots of moles. I wonder if they'll come later in life, because as of now, she's got none.

Pioneer's gotten better about sleeping with her arms free. We used to have to swaddle them super tight for her to sleep comfortably, but yesterday I noticed that she slept okay with them free. She's so much fun to watch, I've completely neglected my TiVO. Funny how that works.

Okay. Onto me. Sleep continues to come in fits and bursts. I'm putting most everything on hold as I try to figure out how to get Pioneer to gain weight. There's a piece of me that wants to put her on formula. It's the "easy" answer. But, formula reeks of fake food. It can't be as good as breast milk. Right? We've been supplementing which in my mind eventually leads to an inevitable transition to formula. The bottle's too easy and it's too easy for the baby to not to want to "work" at getting the milk once they're used to the bottle. So, I've been trying to figure what's ultimately better for Pioneer.

I think her big problem has been that the box has been constraining us from a time perspective. And, now that we have all the time in the world, we can focus on the feeding. That and I need to find a way to keep her awake. If she can stay awake, she can feed. If she can feed, she'll gain weight. We'll see how today goes.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: