Thursday, May 28, 2009

More Freedom

Dear Friends and Family,

We went in for our two week visit today and Pioneer weighed in at 7 pounds, 2 ounces. She's above her birth weight and we got the go ahead to "liberalize" her feeding schedule. We have a weigh in next Friday to make sure the additional freedom doesn't do her any harm.

Here are my thoughts:
  • I'll let her go three hours between feedings vs. the current two and half hours. Obviously, if we get hunger cues from her before the three hours are up, we'll feed her when she's hungry. I'm hoping she'll begin to request food vs. us continuing to foist it on her.
  • Contrary to the doctor's advice, I'll let her go "as long as she wants" for each feeding. She's a slow eater and averages 30-40 minutes per feeding. Cutting her off at 20 seems like it'd be frustrating - she's just finding her groove at 20.
  • Contrary to the doctor's advice, I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the skin-on-skin time. The doctor doesn't think it makes a huge difference, but my qualitative sample size of one implies it does. And, frankly, since my population size is one, I'm not concerned about sampling error. Sooner or later I may move away from it, but for now, it's fine with me.
Two and a half hours was heaven on earth after two hours. Three hours feels downright decadent right now.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut (or mother) feelings. I nursed both my children and let them eat as long as it was comfortable for the both of us. My pediatrician always says that he can recommend based on his experience but it's not guaranteed to be the absolute answer.

Skin on skin time is so important so count me in on your sample size!