Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Past 24 Hours

Dear Friends and Family,

Where to pick up the story? When we last left you, we were at the hospital awaiting Pioneer's birth. And, I was on an emotional roller coaster that had me spent.

Things got a lot easier after I got the epidural. And, emotionally, I found it comforting to be able to spend the morning focusing on enjoying Pioneer inside while thinking about seeing them outside.

I had an hour nap around 11 o'clock. And, then spent the next ninety minutes enjoying some quiet time with Mr. mouse while we waited on our doctor. She came in ~1:30 and by shortly after two, Pioneer was born. To be honest, labor wasn't bad at all. I know, I'll engender all sorts of hate with it, but, it wasn't painful, it wasn't too difficult, it was quick, and every made me feel like a champion afterward.

Pioneer weighed in at 6 lbs, 12 oz and was 19.5 inches long. She had a head full of hair. And, to everyone's delight, she was screaming at the top of her lungs and a had glorious red/pink color all over.

We spent the next hour in the delivery room trying to feed (no success), bathing, cleaning, and cooing. Then, we headed into the post-delivery room and have been here since.

We've had more luck on the feeding front. And, Mr. mouse and I were thrilled with our first poopy diaper last night and jumping up and down today with our first wet diaper this morning. Wow, what 24 hours can do to you. Whoever thought we'd be celebrating diapers?

Pioneer, in my biased opinion, is perfect. She's got a perfectly round head because labor went so quickly. And, she's got 10 perfect fingers, 10 perfect toes, and 1 perfect nose. She's not fussy. And, so far, our biggest problem has been that she sleeps too much. We've been having trouble waking her to feed her. Then again, she slept a lot in-utero, so I was expecting her to sleep well once she was born.

Mr. mouse has had a field day taking photos of her. And, we've been trying to stay on top of all of the congratulatory emails and phone calls. I'm glad to have a breather to take a moment to catch up here.

We head home tomorrow to a host of new challenges. So far, I've been blown away with how much of it Mr. mouse has taken care of for me and how much of it I've been able to take care of as well. Like last night, Pioneer was crying while she was sleeping. I'm sure she was fine, but I wanted Mr. mouse to be able to get some sleep, so I got up and picked her up and walked over to a chair and held her and she quieted. It felt so good just to be able to do that.

I'm just been trying to enjoy every moment of the past two days recognizing it's a once in a lifetime experience.


Cheers!
mouse

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Congratulations! It is an amazing thing how fine the line is from before kids to having kids. Life is never the same but more wonderful than ever. Many blessings to you and your family.

Trixie said...

thanks for the little fill-in-the-blank details. was SO great to be able to "be there" with you throughout all of this. such an amazing experience you guys had! can't wait to see you all! xoxoxo