Sunday, May 24, 2009

Internet Outage Post Catch Up (2 of 3): Strike a Pose

Dear Friends and Family,

Pioneer's got a couple of funny poses that I get to see while feeding her that I want to make sure I capture. I've tried taking photos but I can't get the angle right. And, at some point, Pioneer gets annoyed and stops eating, which seems counter-productive.

There's the ballerina pose/conductor pose where she spreads both arms out on either to her side like she's conducting a symphony. Or she spreads both arms over her head like a ballerina. The funny thing is her arms are short and her head is ginormous, so her arms barely reach over her head.

Then there's the too cool pose where she leans back and looks at you down her nose and has her arm hanging loosely in front of her.

There's the student pose, where she has one arm wrapped around my breast and the other holding up her head like she's studying and/or falling asleep at the library.

Followed by the prima donna pose where she tilts her head up, arches her eyebrows up, purses her lips and gives you a doubtful look like you're not really worthy of her time.

And, last but not least, is the rooting pig pose, when she gets hyper-excited and bobs and shakes her head vigorously like she's a pig at a trough looking for some choice food scraps.

Funny, today I haven't seen many of the poses. She's been all business today. I wonder if it has to do with the changed eating cycle. We went to the doctor's office today and got the green light on the end of light therapy. Whoopee! And, we got the green light to go with a more relaxed eating schedule: 8-12 feedings a day, no need to supplement. I mentioned to Mr. mouse that there's a night and day difference between 2 hours between feedings and 2.5 hours between feedings. One, you're on the clock and weighing the cost of each minute. The other, you can take your time and enjoy the process. And, the no need to supplement takes a huge weight off my back as well. It feels like we're on a normal routine instead of a closely monitored routine. Back to my hypothesis, I think the feedings are more productive for two reasons: 1) she's learning to be more productive and spending less time on randomness and 2) because the feedings are spaced further apart, she's more rested and more alert and more hungry and hence more focused.

Frustrating as the poses were while we were going through them, they did bring a smile to my face. I'll miss them now that Pioneer's more focused on the task at hand. Then again, I'm sure we'll have feedings in the future when she strikes a pose. After all, she's still learning.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: