Monday, July 03, 2006

Indianapolis Weekend Recap

Dear Friends and Family,

We're back home after a quick trip to Indianapolis.

We spent Saturday morning assembling the deck furniture and got into Indianapolis Saturday evening. My sister cooked a fabulous dinner - pork tenderloin, potatoes and broccoli. I was in "hungry" mode so I had a second dinner afterwards. Pork tenderloin sandwich, anyone?

Sunday morning, we headed out to the race. It was a blistering hot day, 91° and no breeze. The first corner is always exciting and I had my eyes glued to the first four cars as they battled it out for the lead. So I missed the seven car pile-up that happened right in front of our seats. My favorite driver, Kimi Raikkonen, was involved in the tangle and was out for the rest of the race. The rest of the race was predictable, and my second favorite driver, Michael Schumacher, won.

We took my sister out for dinner Sunday night to celebrate her birthday. Mr. mouse went back Sunday night after dinner to go to work today. I stayed over to catch up with my sister and boy am I glad I did...

My sister dropped me off at the airport this morning. I went through security and walked to my gate. Nothing out of the norm so far. They call for standbys; I get my seat assignment. Then, they call boarding and I notice that there's a larger khaki contingent than normal. I'm like... hmm... I guess the prep look is really back... Wow! They're also all wearing the EXACT same shoes... Okay... something's not quite right with this picture... they must be here together... Yes! I spy a logo. It's the Toyota racing team. Score: 1, for mouse's deductive logic.

I end up seated next to one of the engineers and we spent the whole flight talking about his life on a F1 team. I had so much fun, it was unreal.

Mr. mouse and I were at the airport later to come back home and we saw them all again, headed to their gate to go back to Germany. We had a blast playing I spy the engineer - after all, they're pretty recognizable in khakis, white shirts and MATCHING shoes. Ah... the little things that make my day.

Toyota F1 Team Shoes

Toyota F1 Team Shoes

Toyota F1 Team Shoes
I also learned that, contrary to popular belief, not all F1 drivers have private jets. Some fly on commercial flights just like you and me. Now, how cool would it be to run into one of them on my next vacation? Sigh.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: