Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Rooibos Tea (aka Red Tea)

Dear Friends and Family,

Whittard of Chelsea Original Rooibos TeaAnyone who's known me for any length of time probably knows me as a coffee drinker. I had 2-3 cups a day since I was 12. What changed? A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, which is not as uncommon as it sounds. It's like your body is on an adrenaline rush and everything is going at 120%. The doc told me to lay off the caffeine since it was aggravating the symptoms. So, I made the switch from coffee to non-caffeinated tea.

We "discovered" rooibos tea during our trip to South Africa. Obviously, the tea's been around forever, we just didn't know about it. It's also known as red tea and African tea, and it's not actually a tea at all. It's an herb that's brewed into a tea. The tea brews a dark red and tastes similar to regular tea. I like it because it's naturally decaffeinated, no caffeine to begin with, not chemically decaffeinated. We brought home a huge boxful for under $2, but it's long gone. Now, I buy what's available locally.

I have a mugful every morning instead of my morning coffee.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: