Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Health Update II

Dear Friends and Family,

Went to the hospital yesterday for a follow-up with the doctor on all of the tests they've been running. They've pretty much ruled out heart attack and heart disease which is a good thing. And, all of the different blood work looks normal. Thyroid is doing it's job. Salts in balance. Okay...

Overall, should be feeling fine. But, obviously, I'm not. The pain is intermittent now. And, the intensity has gone down. But, it still occurs a couple of times each day. I go in today for a Holter monitor. It's essentially a portable monitor you wear 24/7 that monitors your heart rhythms. I wear it for 48 hours and they see what they can find. If nothing shows up, I get the "rest until the symptoms go away" treatment. If something shows up, then, we go from there. Follow-up in three weeks to see how I'm doing overall.

I do have the option of just finding a cardiologist if I want the extra piece of mind. I'll see how this week progresses...

There was one interesting blip in my otherwise beautiful blood work. Cholesterol... Total number low which is great, but the HDL was low too. HDL is the "good" cholesterol. The doctor didn't seem worried. She recommended regular cardiovascular exercise once I get the all clear to go to the gym again. But, I've been trying to do some reading on how else to boost it.

  1. How to boost your "good" cholesterol
  2. 10 Ways to Help Boost Your 'Good' Cholesterol
Maybe now is a good time to incorporate two more changes to my Weight Watchers routine. Good health guideline #4 is Have some healthy oil (olive, canola, sunflower, safflower, or flaxseed) each day. "Some" equates to 2 tsp a day. I've got little to lose by adding it in (besides 2 points a day) so I'll give it a try. And, the other change is swapping out beef for fish. Now, beef is part of my culinary heritage, and I'm not going to give it up altogether, it's just a balance thing.

I'll keep you posted.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: