Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Stonyfield Farm Organic Fat Free Milk

Dear Friends and Family,

With all of the heart scares I've been having, I'm taking a back to the basics approach - less prepared foods, more natural ingredients.

Looking at Weight Watchers' Eight Good Health Guidelines, #3 is include two servings of milk products each day.

Stonyfield Farm Organic Milk
There have been articles about how consuming dairy MAY aid in weight loss. (e.g.
French Women's Diet Secret: Yogurt)

The question on dairy is what and what brand. I inherently think organic has to be better. Ideally, I'd like grass fed cows vs. grain fed cows. No antibiotics, no steroids, no growth hormones. I want that old school ideal - cows let out to pasture every day to graze on naturally growing grass come back to the barn each night to be milked by hand...

For now, I'll stick with Stonyfield Farm, even if Business Week wrote about the
Organic Myth using them as an example of what can go wrong with organic. They're sold at my local food co-op. I'll do more research once I have the time.

In addition to my daily yogurt, I've added a cup of skim milk with dinner every night.


Cheers!
mouse

PS: going in this morning for more lab work - two more vials of blood... probably won't know anything new until next Monday when I go in for my follow-up appointment.

No comments: