Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Action Item #7B: Winter Thermostat Setting

Dear Friends and Family,

Yeah! We finally get to turn on the heat today. Actually, I turned it on last night before going to bed. I knew it wouldn't drop low enough to activate. And, I wanted to wake up to warm. The heat feels amazing!

I've changed my thermostat settings from the original plan:
  • 58° -> 60° (sleep)
  • 68° -> 76° (morning)
  • 58° -> 54° (daytime)
  • 68° -> 70° (evening)
I was absolutely miserable at the lower temps. And, that's not sustainable. The weighted average thermostat setting is the same as before, but since the morning will turn on earlier in the season and the drop is in the daytime, it technically will use more energy than my original plan. I'll see how this week goes. If it feels decadent, I'll drop it more.

2007 Action Plan
  1. 07.20: I pledge to make a difference.
  2. 07.20: I will track my electrical consumption.
  3. 07.20: I will keep the house at 78°+ for the summer.
  4. 08.16: I will unplug the blow dryer.
  5. 09.01: I will try compact fluorescent light bulbs.
  6. 09.02: I will replace the dishwasher.
  7. 10.11: I will keep the house at 54°/76° for the winter.






Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

yea! mouse popsicles are so not cute! i think your new settings sound much more achievable too. it's been really chilly here the past few days and it's currently 76 in here after the day of sun. this is what I end up with...but by bedtime, the heat may run once and then probably not again until 5am-ish. winter is definitely my lesser usage season...weird huh? xoxoxo