Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Uncle Julio's Hacienda

Dear Friends and Family,

As usual, I'm behind on my food posts. My favorite fajitas down in Texas was Pappasitos. And, there had been rumors that they were opening up location in the Chicagoland area. In trying to divine the location, I came across several threads about Uncle Julio's. Of course, I was skeptical.

We went. And, it's, at least in my mind, almost the same restaurant as Pappasitos. Whichever one opened first should sue the copy-cat. It's that similar. We tried our usual the first time we went - tamales with meat sauce and beef fajitas. The chips are warm and thin. The salsa tangy and runny. Both just the way we like it. The tamales are fluffy. And, the meat sauce... I could eat it like chili with a spoon. The fajitas and tortillas don't disappoint either. The beef is tender with a very nice char. The onions, jalapeƱo, pico de gallo and guacamole allow you to personalize each and every bite. I want to go back, just writing about it. Alas, it's a points hog, so it'll have to be an occasional treat for us.


Overall rating: 8/10

Uncle Julio's Hacienda
855 West North Avenue
Chicago, IL 60622 map it
(312) 266-4222
http://www.unclejulios.com


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: