Friday, October 05, 2007

So Glad We Talked

Dear Friends and Family,

About three weeks ago, I got an email from my last boss at old work. His colleague from business school was interested in finding out more about my department here at work. I agreed to do an informational interview with his colleague. In one of the emails, my last boss asked, if there's anything you think might be of interest to me, let me know. And, we started an email chain on that particular topic. And, we agreed to talk - Thursday night, 9PM.

Well, it's Friday. And, I'm so glad we had that conversation. I wasn't sure going into it if it would all awkward and everything. We all know the trials and tribulations of my last position at old work. And, I wasn't sure if I wanted to bring any of that baggage into new work. I wasn't sure how much of last boss' perspective on me was poisoned by crazy boss' rantings and ravings. And, I addressed this matter head on. I didn't want to risk bringing an uncertain element into a work environment that I enjoy. But, he let me know, in no uncertain terms, that he saw through crazy boss. He knew I was capable and good and smart and he knew the situation sucked and made me out to be a person I wasn't.

It was so important for me to hear that. Last boss was my boss for the six months. He was the one who convinced me not to quit the first time. And, he was the one who really went to bat for me once I left, with the credit card people over my last expense report. I always had a wistful feeling that it would have been a lot of fun to work with him in a not crazy environment. Last night's call was both the start of a new friendship and the end of a sad, awkward situation. I feel a sense of healing and closure. It was a most excellent conversation.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

such a good thing to resolve all of that. i know first hand how hard it was to just walk away and not know what others in the group thought. i'm guessing, like your situation, they probably see through the crazy boss and at least understand that i left to get out of a really bad situation. but if they didn't/don't understand that, well, what can i do? the authentic truth is in my heart and i know what's up! :) xoxoxox