Monday, January 14, 2008

01.14.08: Catching Up on My Zzz's

Dear Friends and Family,

Trixie came out for the weekend. Her father (not biological, but father figure growing up) passed away last week and the service was this weekend. She flew in on Friday and stayed until Sunday. It was good to have an opportunity to catch up with her while she was here even if the circumstances bringing her here were less than ideal.

Friday night we went out to Shikago for dinner. Had a round of sushi rolls, tuna tartare, and Thai shrimp. Then, we had nigiri and Vietnamese spring rolls. Then, we headed over to Spring for dessert. Apparently, we met the whole staff New Year's Eve, but I didn't recall any of it. We ordered two desserts, but three came out. The ice cream sandwiches were amazing. And, the miniature cookies were darling. And, the granita with rice pudding, pure crack. It's criminal, really, to get your customers hooked like that. And, there was a lemon, thyme, chocolate concoction that was pure heaven. I have to say, it's an easy place to fall in love with.

Saturday, we had a lazy omelette breakfast together before Trixie headed out to the service. I slept the afternoon while Mr. mouse spent time organizing and cleaning and doing errands. We had dinner in - Chilean sea bass with herb butter; napa cabbage; and sweet potato chips with maple syrup. I made myself a banana split dessert to get some potassium in. And, we played Scrabble to close out the evening. Trixie got Ms. Jordan's vang on the board which was hilarious. And, I discovered keef for my final word - which was fortunate because I needed to blow the K before the game ended.

Saturday night, the fun and games began. I woke in the middle of the night feeling a litany of symptoms that included fever, nausea, diarrhea, queasiness, dizziness, etc. You name it, I had it. Oh, let's not forget headache, stomachache and cold sweat. Mr. mouse made a concoction of orange juice and sugar. I threw up most of it back up along with my dinner, in phases throughout the night. And, I was tossing and turning and moaning and groaning. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Mr. mouse and Trixie had breakfast, before he dropped her off somewhere. He ran some errands while I slept the morning away. I made it down to the couch by around noon. And, slept there until close to six. We had a simple dinner of chicken broth, baguette and jam before going back upstairs. I took a virtual pharmacopoeia of OTC drugs to calm my stomach before finally falling asleep again.

And, here I am, still feeling a little queasy, but headed into work for the day. Hope to have better news for you tomorrow.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: