Thursday, January 24, 2008

Personal-Professional Boundaries

Dear Friends and Family,

I had an incident yesterday that I think might cause me some angst in the future. Someone I know, at work, is having problems. And, I'm not sure how or where to draw the line between friend and colleague.

Some things I am absolutely clear on. If I tell someone I won't repeat something told to me in confidence, I won't. That's my integrity on the line. And, if I give advice, I give it whole heartedly without thinking of what it means for the network externalities. Sometimes it's what they want to hear, sometimes it isn't. I'm not one to mince words to say what I think someone wants to hear, but what I think someone needs to hear. Hey, if you want hugs and kisses and a sympathetic shoulder, they're available in aisle two.

But, sometimes, I want to plug my fingers in my ears and babble and not hear. Sometimes, I want to just put my head down and focus on me and my priorities. Sometimes, I just want to be selfish and look after #1.

But, then, I remember, there are times I needed a friend. And, my friends have never let me down. And, I remember, by helping, it makes them feel better, and that's important to overall karma and creating a positive environment. And, I remember, I should feel honored to be someone that someone trusts, that someone values as a friend.

And, there is my quandary. Work is easy when it's just work. Life is easy when it's just life. When the two overlap, the intersection is a tricky balance. We're not automatons that come in and do a job. We're people. But, we are paid to do a job. And, that's work.

Hopefully, time will provide clarity for all of us.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: