Monday, February 04, 2008

02.04.08: The Wonderful Feeling of Clean

Dear Friends and Family,

We didn't do a ton this weekend.

We spent Saturday doing the last of the clean up from the party. And, Sunday, I had time to do a deep clean on the floors. There's our normal cleaning routine which involves a Swiffer mop and several of those micro-fiber cloths. And, there's our deep cleaning routine which involves busting out the Hoover Floor Mate, Method wood cleaner, moving furniture around, and the power scrub. I love the power scrub. The end result is a lovely almond smell and utterly beautiful feeling floors.

I have to confess, we don't clean as often as we could. Normally, it's been a battle just keeping the place organized. It's nice to have reached a point where I can spend time on cleaning and not just organizing. Honestly, it's a never ending battle but one I continue to soldier on in the hopes of one day winning the war. Back to yesterday, the waste "water" that the vacuum picked up was absolutely filthy. There's grey and dirty, and then there's black and filthy. Ours was the latter. I might use my March living and dining room clean up time to do another deep clean on the floor.
  1. I love the feeling of clean floors.
  2. I hope the water is less dirty the next time around.
And, that, was the highlight of my weekend.

We played Scrabble Saturday night. But, that got it's own post. I tried a new lentil recipe, but that's a later post. And, we watched the game last night which I enjoyed more than I thought I would.


Cheers!
mouse

3 comments:

Trixie said...

ok let's talk about this power scrub. I've been considering an apparatus for the floors myself (i'm hardwood throughout) so I need to get the lowdown here. and let me tell you, I'm in your camp on the clean vs. organize. and I'm waaaay far behind on both in the past 2+ months. looking forward to getting into spring cleaning mode here! xoxoxox

Trixie said...

ps - my big issue is the hair product overspray on the bathroom floor...sigh.

mouse said...

I have an older model of the Hoover Floormate H3000. It's got a switch for power scrub and for wet/dry pickup.

So, for a swatch of floor, you do a quick pick-up. Then, switch to power scrub mode. You use the trigger to lay down some cleaning solution. You scrub. Then switch to wet/dry pickup and pick up the solution. It's like an extended vacuuming motion only on hardwood.

It takes me about an hour to do the kitchen/dining room. You get into a groove, kinda like wax-on, wax-off and the time goes quickly.

It's only problem is around edges. The pick-up isn't as good. So, when I'm done, I do a quick pass around the perimeter of the room with a rag to get the last bits and pieces picked up and out.