Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Doing My Civic Duty

Dear Friends and Family,

For the first time, caught up in the fervor that is Election Year 2008, I voted in the primary elections. So, who did I vote for? And, more importantly, why?

As a social liberal, fiscal conservative, W. and I have very little in common. In fact, in 2004, upon waking in November to another four years, I debated moving to Canada. So, here I am, four years later, wanting to (and feeling obliged to) take a more participatory role in what is, essentially, my largest civic duty, voting. Not that I didn't vote in 2004, but I waited until November before taking any real part in the process.

First question: Democrat or Republican? Ask me when I first started voting and I probably would have said Republican. Since then, I've evolved and so has the party. And, when asked last night, I said Democrat.

Ballot in hand, I had the much tougher second question: Clinton or Obama? And, my colleague summed it up so succinctly. Your heart says Obama. Your head says Clinton. Change. Yes. Experience. Yes. Dynasty. No. Abstain Votes. No. What's a girl to do? I can't say I'm educated enough to see any substantive difference in policy. So, I followed my head and a tiny bit of my heart (I still love the thought of a female president as a role model for the young girls in our country) and cast a vote for HRC.

We'll see how it all unfolds as the relentless primary race continues on.


Cheers!
mouse

PS: Met up with an old work colleague last night. She was in town on business. I love her. She's so solid. If I could work with her again, I would, in an instant. She gets so much done and is so consistent. It was refreshing to see her again.

No comments: