Monday, July 20, 2009

07.20.09: Seasoned Traveller

Dear Friends and Family,

We did it! We took Pioneer on a flight and made it there and back in one piece.

We flew home to go to a wedding. One of my close friends from college was getting married and it was an excellent chance to catch up with all of my closest friends from school and have them see Pioneer. We also got to spend time with both sets of grandparents which is always a good thing.

We drove out to the airport on Friday night and checked into a hotel by the airport. This way, we wouldn't have to deal with feeding, holding, driving, soothing back to sleep on Saturday morning for a 6AM flight. Instead, we could get up, feed and walk to the terminal with Pioneer (hopefully) asleep in our arms. And, it worked perfectly. She slept until we got on the plane. We had a whole row to ourselves. I took the window seat and fed her on the way up (to help keep her ears from popping) and on the way down. In between, I slept, but Pioneer was up with Mr. mouse.

We spent Saturday with my mom. She was delighted to see Pioneer. And, she's so good about learning and adapting. She picked up the new ways we play. And, the new ways Pioneer likes to be held. And, I was able to use her room for feeding Pioneer. And, I got a good nap in while they had their fun. It was an excellent day.

Saturday night we drove over to Mr. mouse's folks' house to spend some time with them. Pioneer fell asleep on the couch and slept through to the next morning. I woke her at 5:30 to feed her because I was getting a little stumped as to how long she was going to sleep for. And, I was getting a little uncomfortable so I figured feeding and then pumping was a good option. It worked out well because the extra milk gave us some flexibility at the wedding and on the return trip.

The wedding was beautiful. Catching up with friends is always fun. Pioneer slept for most of it and spent the rest of the time dancing with her dad. I held her for a little bit at the end and it made me cry - thinking of how quickly the time will go and one day she'll be leaving us to live her own life and everything. What's a wedding without a couple of tears?

Sunday night, we spent with Mr. mouse's folks, one of their friends, and one of my friends who stopped by with his family, briefly, after dinner. Then, we turned in early since we had an early flight today.

We got upgraded to First Class for the return trip. So, at two months old, Pioneer has already sat in the front of the plane. She slept the whole flight and woke when the pilot's announcement (flight attendants take your seat) woke her. We stuffed a bottle in her mouth to help with the descent and since we knew she had a diaper. She went through the bottle and then I fed her - it was a comfort feed, but that's okay every once in a while.

Now, she's asleep and I'm unpacking and doing laundry and organizing. She should be waking soon.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

wow - congrats! sounds like it was a great trip. she's officially a nonrev'er now, baby! xoxo