Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Day 8, Learning by Doing

Dear Friends and Family,

Yesterday was a productive day. We arranged all of the furniture in the guest room. We hauled all of our books in there and found a home for most of them. And, we set up the guest bed (my bed from the mouse house). Then, we unpacked half of the kitchen boxes and most of our clothes. I got a little frustrated because the closet isn't big enough for two and went on a donation rampage. Mr. mouse told me to go to sleep and finished up the rest. All in all, a very productive day.

Today is another story all together. I had the option of going back for a volunteer event with my old department or spending the day here with Mr. mouse. I knew he had a morning meeting that he was trying to reschedule and I didn't nag him about it. I should have been more clear as to my options in communicating with him. Why? He's at work and I am here. The plan? Spend the day together. The back up plan? He goes to work and I go hang out with my old department. The sign of communication failure? He goes to work, I do nothing. How the @#$!? does that happen? No use crying over spilt milk, but guess I need to think about how to prevent future communication breakdown. Maybe I should have just planned on going to the volunteer event and made that plan A? Maybe I needed to be more explicit? But how to do that with sounding like a nag? Maybe I need to be okay with spending another quiet day at the mouse pad? No. Yes. No. Okay, how to communicate better? Something to think about during this transition.

I'm flying back to the house tonight to have dinner with my neighbors. I'm very excited about seeing them again.

Off to tea and to contemplate having the "talk" with Mr. mouse. What a waste of a morning.


Cheers!
mouse

PS: Mr. mouse is headed home for brunch and to drive me to the airport. All is better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry mousie - the dreaded communication gap strikes us all from time to time. deeeep breath. may not be worth "the talk" but instead try making things crystal clear next time? this is a hard one for me...need to be super specific and clear and ask for what I need. evidently boys don't read minds. duh. now, THAT would be a handy skill for them to learn!!!

c u soon!!!