Tuesday, December 19, 2006

So Far, So Good

Dear Friends and Family,

Good morning. Sorry, no food posting today.

So, I know you're dying to know... how'd it go?!?!

Yesterday was a typical first day in the office. We had group orientation in the morning where we covered paperwork - make sure you're legal to work in the country, taxes withholding, direct deposit, etc.; company history; mission, values, etc.; benefits, policies, getting started, etc.

Then, we were met at lunch by our buddy and left to fend for ourselves in the afternoon. I got my badge, so it's official now. And, I spent the afternoon doing a lot of reading. I have a 1:1 with my manager this afternoon and my first meeting this morning. I have a new cubicle mate; he's funny, but I miss Frenchie. And, it's very quiet in the office, so it's not as lively as the old office environment - you get a lot more done, but it takes a little getting used to. So far, so good.

The gym is okay, it's not as large or as new as the old gym and it has a little gym odor, but for now, it's serviceable. It's $25/month, so I'll probably join regardless... use it for a couple of months and see how it goes from there. If the odor/age bothers me, I'll find a new gym at a later point. If not, then we'll call it good.

The cafeteria, on the other hand, is going to be a tougher sell. Granted, the old cafeteria set a high bar... I had sushi options, a great sandwich bar with house roasted turkey, four yogurt options and a full suite of fruit and vegetable salads all at reasonable prices. This one is a lot pricier for lower quality food. My sandwich yesterday - the wheat bread was a cheap fluffy bread with no flavor and/or texture, the turkey bland, watery and flavorless, the yogurt was a carb-control option - never again, and the price - 25% more than my old lunch. Hmm... Might be just the incentive I need to pack my lunch on an ongoing basis... Today, I'll try carvery and see how that goes. If that works, I'll be okay. Like the gym, I'll give it a couple months of use, see if I adjust or if it's really an issue. Unlike the gym, I have an easy contingency plan, bring my own lunch, which I'll probably do 60% of the time.

Well, off have my tea.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: