Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Hebrew National 97% Fat Free Beef Franks

Dear Friends and Family,

I'm been lackadaisical on the Tuesday food posts. Sometimes I have one to write about. Sometimes, I don't. It's been warm enough for us to grill, so, today, let's talk hot dogs.

Typical grocery store hot dogs are five or more Weight Watchers points. Last year, sometime, I read an article on Weight Watchers titled Shopping List Must Haves and it extolled the virtues of six different foods that you must try. Last on the list were the Hebrew National 97% Fat Free Beef Franks. Typically, I don't eat a lot of second gen food anymore (more on this later), but when I do, I love finding a low point alternative that works.

Hebrew National 97% Fat Free Beef FranksMr. mouse and I tried these a couple of weeks ago to see how they would taste. The instructions said to boil them, not grill them, so we did. And, surprisingly, they were pretty good. You could tell they weren't the full fat version, but at 45 calories, 1.5 grams of fat it was one point vs. four points for the regular one. That means two hot dogs can be had for two points plus buns. I read about a couple of low point bun options, but we haven't tried any yet. With some potato chips, you've got a classic summer entrée for six points!


Cheers!
mouse

PS: Trixie, we took the Wendella Boats tour.

No comments: