Monday, July 16, 2007

07.16.07: Trixie and Me

Dear Friends and Family,

The weekend got off to a shaky start. I had a conference call from work that started at 3:30 and was supposed to go for an hour. Instead, it ran over by a mile. I was starving half way through and snuck in a snack to tide me over until dinner. We ended the call in all-hands-on-deck mode, and me the only one without a blackberry. A follow up call to my boss confirmed that he didn't expect me to hang out by my computer all weekend doing email which is a good thing since my password decided to expire and I couldn't access email anyway. Fun. Fun. I love when work intrudes on the weekend.

After the call, Mr. mouse and I had dinner and did some quick pick up because Trixie was on her way over after she had dinner with her Dad. We hung out on the deck even if it was a little chilly out until she got here. Then had wine and chatted for a bit before turning in for the night.

Don't ask why, but we all got up super early on Saturday. Well, not super early. Just super early for the weekend. We had breakfast on the deck before heading out for a haircut appointment for Trixie with my beautician. While at the salon, we got a recommendation for a tattoo parlor from one of the women, and headed there next. We improvised on the walk route so that it would take us past the place, and found it without a problem. Trixie got her butterfly installed and we were on our way for our walk. We ended up doing about half of the walk I had originally scoped out, but it worked out perfectly for the day. We walked downtown and then through downtown, ending with sushi and a pit stop at the Whole Foods for picnic fare.

Our end destination was Millennium Park for a free concert by the Grant Park Orchestra. We spread out a blanket on the lawn, broke out our rotisserie chicken and fruit and just enjoyed the scene. It was a sea of people at the concert (Beethoven to Gershwin) and it varied from a person sans blanket reading a copy of the Economist to a family with several small kids and a bag of nachos to a group of older couples with hampers, fold out tables, flowers, champagne and the works. I love the diversity. The concert was a perfect ending to the day. And, Mr. mouse offered pick up service afterwards. So, after a quick walk through the park, we met him in front of the Cultural Center for a quick ride home. We sat on the deck and enjoyed recapping our day before turning in for the night.

Sunday, we got a later start and made it to Milk & Honey for breakfast/lunch. Trixie got the huevos rancheros. Mr. mouse got a caprese salad, chicken sausage, and a blueberry plum cobbler. I got a BLT sandwich and a side of fruit salad. Afterwards, we stopped off to pick up some doggy treats before piling into the car for a trip to the Field. We walked through the Darwin exhibit which was spectacular and the Dinosaurs exhibit which was okay. I picked up the funnest book on Hot Chocolate. I might have to make a weekly treat for myself once I'm on maintenance. We booked it up to Korea Town for some soon tofu before coming back downtown for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I won't say anything about the movie in case you haven't seen it yet, except to say I really liked it and, WOW, they don't look like kids anymore. We crashed when we got home.

And, it's now Monday morning. Mr. mouse is dropping Trixie off at the airport and I need to go catch up on work before I get into the office. All in all, a most excellent and relaxing weekend. And, now, I just need to make it through this week, which promises to be a heavy one, before HP7 comes out this weekend. I can't wait!


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

yea us! had such a great weekend!! thanks to you and mr. mouse for entertaining and carting me around. can't wait to see you guys again soon. xoxoxox