Thursday, July 26, 2007

Root Cause Analysis

Dear Friends and Family,

I think I've sorted it all through - why I'm feeling so off. We were driving home yesterday, and I was STARVING. Mr. mouse asked me if I wanted to go back to Bon Soiree for dinner. They have a three course prix fixe menu on weeknights for $24 per person, no invitation or RSVP needed. I enjoyed the food last time, so I thought it sounded like excellent suggestion.

First off, the non-alcoholic drinks are not free on weeknights, we spent $7 on two bottles of soda that would have cost a fraction of that at Whole Foods. But, there wasn't anything on the signage or menu saying that until we got to the dessert menu after we had drunk the drinks. It was the, oh, surprise, they were complimentary last time... feeling. And, with the exception of a few appetizers and a couple main dishes, the other options all had an "upcharge" associated with it. $2 here. $3 there. $5 here. $10 there. We avoided the $10 upcharge like the plague, but I felt nickel and dimed on the other ones. Really, am I going to not order what I want for $2 more? Come on. Dessert menu comes out, and there's one house option and the rest have an upcharge as well. And, espresso, cappuccino, coffee and tea are no longer complimentary either. So, I passed on those as well. What started off as a $48 dinner for two ended up being a $70 dinner plus tip.

I'm not saying the food wasn't good because it was. Well, to be honest, I wasn't particularly thrilled with my braised pork shoulder. It was just too salty for me. But, Mr. mouse really liked it, so it might just be me. I'm just saying it annoyed me to have found myself spending 40% more for dinner than I had expected to. I'm not sure I'm entirely sold on the concept anymore.

I feel better now. Sorry to vent.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

I swear to you, I think it's the weather. It's been ugly hot and muggy here and I think everyone's feeling off. Just get some rest, rehydrate yourself (are you sure it's not too warm in there while you're sleeping...cause that'll kill ya), and remember that the weekend is coming. Oh and venting is always allowed...IT'S YOUR BLOG! :) xoxoxoxox