Friday, July 13, 2007

The Gap: Why Sales Have been Down

Dear Friends and Family,

It's been a running joke of mine recently, so I figured I'd share it with you. The Gap. I've been very disappointed in the Gap recently. They WERE my go to store for the basics: khakis, polo shirts, t shirts, etc. But, not anymore. I just don't get them any more.

In the era of vanity sizing, where I am now either a 2P, a 2, or a 4P in 90% of the stores I shop in, at the Gap, for some reason the L and the XL fit me just fine, thank you. Okay, point #1: When 66% of America is either overweight or obese who can fit into the M, the S and the XS?!?! Who?!?! That's half your inventory that's not turning productively.

Now, when I find something that physically fits, in the L or the XL, it's just not flattering. It makes me look like the Michelin man with little rolls of fat in all the wrong places. If it wasn't for the fact that I can find clothes elsewhere that fit just fine, I would think, maybe, I was the issue. The clothes are fine. I'm just fat and ugly. But, I can find clothes elsewhere. So, I know I'm not the problem. So... Point #2: Don't make your customers look ugly, it tends to reduce sales. Find styles that flatter people. That effectively kills the turns on the half the inventory that made it through the first cut.

What amazes me is that they're owned by the same parent company as Banana Republic. Now, that's a store I love. And, where stuff fits and flatters. Do they not talk to each other? Speaking of which, I need to check out their sales racks. The dry cleaner lost two of my summer blouses, so my stock is dangerously low.


Cheers!
mouse

PS: I love the Michelin Man. I just don't think I can carry the look as well as he does.

1 comment:

Trixie said...

ok mousie - that IS weird. it must be to do with body shape but I would think you have one of those cute, lean bodies that they like to fit! I actually have good luck there with one thing and one thing only - JEANS! I would pay more for jeans and buy clever designer ones IF they fit like magic - but they don't. Only Gap Long & Leans work for me. But I am a consistent size between Gap & BR...bottoms and tops. I usually run one size bigger in pants than skirts (curvy ass) or dresses. And yes, I might need a M in Gap or Old Navy when I'd wear a S in BR...but I figure it's the "teenage girl body" issue...cause I'm curvier than that! But YOU should really be fine...wtf!?!?! Gap's other clothes haven't thrilled me for a few years in terms of design. Target is doing so much better with their GO International stuff. Bizarre sometimes but not commonplace or boring...I can always find a piece or two to jazz things up. xoxoxxo