Friday, July 20, 2007

Action Item #3: Hot House Mouse

Dear Friends and Family,

After doing lots of reading, I've decided to tackle the big things first. There are people unplugging their TVs every time they're done watching and other semi-nonsensical things trying to reduce their energy consumption. I'm too analytical. The good old Pareto rule must apply here. 80% of my energy consumption is tied up in 20% of my plug-ins. And, without having all the facts on the tables, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that my A/C unit is one of the 20% big hitters.

I've got two cooling cycles set for the mouse pad. The morning cycle goes from 4AM to 7AM. And, the evening cycle goes from 6PM to 9PM. Those two cycles are set at 78°. The rest of the time, the thermostat is set for 88°. I'll have to do a manual adjust on the weekends we're in town and/or we have company. Most people like it cooler than that, and I'm not going to make my guests suffer. 78° is plenty cool for me. But, I know that's not the norm. I'll adjust the winter setting in October. October 23rd to be exact.

2007 Action Plan
  1. 07.20: I pledge to make a difference.
  2. 07.20: I will track my electrical consumption.
  3. 07.20: I will keep the house at 78°+ for the summer.










Cheers!
mouse

No comments: