Tuesday, September 04, 2007

09.04.07: Just Plain Happy

Dear Friends and Family,

It was a most excellent three day weekend.

Friday, I went in to work to have lunch with our intern before he leaves for school. And, surprisingly, the traffic wasn't bad coming home. I slept on the bus and listened to my ipod on the train. Friday night, we went out for dinner. I had a craving for Turkish, so we went back to Turquoise. It was packed, but worth the wait. We came back and crashed for the evening.

Saturday, we spent the day cleaning and organizing. I finally feel like I have gained some semblance of control. It's been bad since before we left for Turkey, so it's been almost two months. The kitchen is clear. The dining room is clear. The only thing we need to tackle is the piles accumulating of donate/sell. We spent Saturday afternoon swapping out our light bulbs for more energy efficient ones. Then, we ran the usual errands - Home Depot, Target, and groceries. We found an awesome new supermarket that carries some choice skus I grew up with. Yeah, mouse! For dinner, we had pasta with a tomato cream sauce. I'm stunned at how good it can taste with just a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream.

Sunday, we decided to install the new dishwasher. It's been sitting in our dining room area forever. We got about half way through before we had to leave. We met up with one of my friends from work and her husband for a tour of a local vineyard. We bought two bottles of wine, a port and a white port. We then hit the local Korean supermarket for some kalbi (pre-marinated short ribs) and some mandoo (dumplings!) for dinner. We all went back to their place and heated up the food. My friend and I played some bad pool after dinner while the men folk took in some VH1. Before you knew it, it was 11PM and time for us to head home.

Monday, the extra day is such a treat! We finished installing the dishwasher. It went smoothly. We spent a lot of time getting the alignment just right. And, now we have a quieter dishwasher that's more energy efficient with a delay start mode. I love it! We finished off clearing out the kitchen. And, then, we went for a bike ride. We went up and down the lake. The weather was beautiful and a lot of people were out grilling and celebrating the traditional end of summer. There's something about the smell of charcoal and lighter fluid that takes me back in time. It's the quintessential smell of childhood summers. That and Coppertone 4. Funny how powerful scent is. After the bike ride, we hit the Whole Foods for some fish. And, then made dinner - blackened catfish, mashed potatoes and a salad. Then, it was laundry and hammock time. Then, it was dessert and CSI. Then, it was time for bed.

While we were on the hammock, I remarked to Mr. mouse, how much of a difference a year can make. Last year, I was SO unhappy. Things were super rough at work. And, I wasn't sure how we'd do on the mouse house. And, I was half-dreading moving, since I'd miss all of my friends. But, mostly work sucked. And, now, I'm so happy, I almost feel guilty about it. My mom asked me what I was going to wish for on my birthday. And, I told her I wasn't sure. I have everything I want. I did make a birthday wish. But, you have to keep it a secret or it won't come true.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: