Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Alliance Bakery & Cafe

Dear Friends and Family,

We ducked into Alliance Bakery on our way to Bob San for a birthday cake. Based on the location and the exterior, I thought it'd be an old-fashioned Eastern European bakery with your traditional old school bakery items. Not so, my friends. Instead of standard issue, bad frosting sheet cakes, they have cakes in the shapes of cute bags, cupcakes in multiple flavors, and oh-so-cute mini pastries you can bring with you to a party. Nice!

We got two of the cupcakes - yellow cake with chocolate hazelnut frosting. The cake had a nice crumb to it. And, the frosting, I was licking my fingers. It was rich without being too sweet. And, the hazelnut made it an adult cupcake vs. plain old chocolate would have made me feel like I was three again. Not, that there's anything wrong with that. We split one cake for dessert. And, I had the other one for breakfast. Not the healthiest of breakfasts, but birthdays only come around once a year.


Overall rating: 8/10

Alliance Bakery & Cafe
1736 West Division Street
Chicago, IL 60622 map it
(773) 278-0366
http://www.alliance-bakery.com


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: