Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Family Drama

Dear Friends and Family,

Not sure how to write about this topic, but figure I'll give it the old college try. My sister and Mr. mouse are at odds with each other. And, frankly, I'm on Mr. mouse's side.

Over Christmas, the family looked at going to Korea together to visit my grandfather. Her schedule is the least flexible since she's currently in school. And, then, when you overlap her schedule and my mom's church schedule, it becomes even more inflexible. I was willing to go with the flow and go when they were free even if my first preference was to go sooner rather than later. Hello, he's not getting any younger.

So, once my mom bowed out of the equation, it was down to my sister and me. She still wanted to go together and I was willing to wait until April if that was when she had free. Well, it quickly became all about her. Her schedule, her tickets, her lodging, her, her, her and her. And, it was the drama every night of calls to talk about it. I don't have the patience for it all. Well, sometime over the weekend, after Mr. mouse and me and our neighbors had all already made plans, she decided to bail because it was "inconvenient" for her schedule now. To say the least, I was annoyed.

But, Mr. mouse, he was downright ticked. Now, he's barely on speaking terms with her and somehow she thought calling me three times at work yesterday would resolve the issue. My sister and I are very different people and I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I am ready to write her off and be done with it. On the flip side, I recognize that you don't get to choose your family members even if they sometimes let you down horribly. I'm not sure if the incident this past week was the straw that broke the camel's back for Mr. mouse. It wasn't for me, but, then again, that might mean you can pile a lot of straws on this here old camel.

Still, I don't have the patience for the drama and the self centeredness and the feeling like she's trying to paint me into a corner and the co-dependence and the immaturity and the selfishness and the histrionics and the games and the everything. I just don't have the patience for the everything. With friends, it's a give and take. With her, it's a one way street. If she was a friend, I would bin her as a semi-toxic friend. Why does she deserve extra? I guess it's because she's family. Why does my family have to be such baggage? I envy Mr. mouse and his relationship with his dad. It's so much simpler and less maintenance.

Why can't my family be normal? It took forever for parents to become normal. And, now that they are, my siblings have to go all stupid on me. I'm curious to see how this drama will play out. I can tell you one thing, when Mr. mouse is pissed, he's pissed and it takes a lot to work it out.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: