Friday, February 09, 2007

The Original Pancake House

Dear Friends and Family,

I didn't realize The Original Pancake House has as extensive a chain as it does. When I first went in Evanston, I thought it was a mom-and-pop restaurant. Well, I was wrong. Not only is the one in Edina the same concept, upon further research, they have 17 locations in the Chicagoland alone!

All that aside, we went for breakfast last Sunday morning and the food was delicious. We got there early on a bitterly cold morning and hence there was no wait. I ordered the Dutch Baby, one of the specialties of the house, which normally takes 30 minutes. It only takes 15 if you're early on a bitterly cold Sunday morning. I was torn between the Dutch Baby and the Apple Pancake. I ended up picking the Dutch Baby because it's probably a lot healthier than the Apple Pancake which is like eating dessert for breakfast.

The Original Pancake House Dutch Baby PancakeThe Dutch Baby is shaped like a bowl. I always wondered how it's made and I have a theory now... It's almost like a super-aerated souffle that's been deflated on purpose. It's still light and airy. You eat it with butter, powdered sugar and lemon. Or, in my case just lemon. Maybe a better comparison is a thick but airy crepe? Yes, it's a cross between a pancake and a crepe. In any case, it's to die for.

I had to guesstimate the points, but found a helpful article online which had nutritional information. It's not exact, but certainly close enough for me. A full pancake comes out to 10 points... which is certainly a lot more than the 2 I normally have for breakfast. But, well within the range of what I can eat as a special treat in the week.


Overall rating: 8/10

The Original Pancake House
3501 West 70th Street
Edina, MN 55435
(952) 920-4444
http://www.originalpancakehouse.com


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

mmmm...dutch baby sounds delish. i am a die-hard pannekoeken fan as well and they really have the best pancakes like that. i adore the ones topped with raspberry goo. so nummy. and yes, they are made in a big ass cast-iron pan, you pour in the batter and it puffs up like mad. once removed from the heat source, it flattens out. that's why, at my favorite place, they still run your pancake from the kitchen hollering "Pannekoeken! Pannekoeken" like mad people. How fun is that?! xoxoxo