Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Family Drama, Part 3 + Work Drama, Part 1

Dear Friends and Family,

I'm posting tonight because I've got to work tomorrow morning. More on that later.

My sister called Monday night. We were out at dinner so I didn't answer the call. She didn't leave a message. I got home and saw that she called the home phone as well. No message. OK. Yesterday, I felt obliged to leave her a quick message saying essentially - saw you called...

She calls this morning while Mr. mouse and I are headed into work together. I can tell, Mr. mouse is annoyed. He wants no part of any of this. I decide to nip it in the bud and answer the call. She promptly bursts into tears and I've got no patience for the drama, so I ask her what's prompting all of this. Turns out she and the brother-in-law had a meltdown on Saturday and the dreaded d-word came up. I can't say I'm very moved. I try to say all the right things, but it's going nowhere. I tell her I'm headed onto the highway and need to go. We hang up.

I can't say I have the time, patience, or even interest in really caring how this all plays out. It is somewhat good to know that perhaps all the drama about the trip was really about something else all together. Typical of her to not be able to articulate any of it to anyone. So, I'm less annoyed about her flakiness on the trip. Actually, couldn't care less at this point. But, the dilemma in front of me is whether I allow myself to be dragged into the relationship fiasco. I'm just not all that jazzed about getting involved. The title "He's Just Not That Into You" comes to mind. Can it apply to sisters? I figure I'll play it by ear and if I have the urge I'll answer the call, but if I don't, I'll let it go to voice mail. Is that okay? What's my obligation? BTW, totally rhetorical questions here. Not posing a survey question for my minute audience.

The funny thing is, as usual, her timing is impeccable. I've been busy at work but not impossibly so. I stopped by my desk to check e-mail before heading to the gym tonight. Three messages from my boss with the same subject line. Odd. Decided to read them quick. It's a request for some information on my project. Fine. From his boss. Okay. From his boss's boss. Now, I'm a little stressed. Why? Well, my boss's boss's boss, the originator of the email, is the Chairman of the frigging company. The second note outlines a presentation. Okay. The third sets the time line, 3pm tomorrow afternoon. STRESS STRESS STRESS.

I've got to log on soon to start work. I figure I'll be hammering away at it tomorrow morning. So, no new post tomorrow morning.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: