Monday, March 05, 2007

Me - Life Status

Dear Friends and Family,

Okay, Trixie, read your blog and am feeling a little guilty. I maintain a list of blogger catch up topics to keep everyone caught up on my life. And, one of the items that has been on the list was written simply as "me - life status"... I've been trying to keep on top of our eating outs, and my Weight Watchers, and all the things we're tackling, but it's all the superficial stuff. On the back burner was a solitary reminder to tell you about me... The type of entry that takes longer to write after taking even longer to think about. I thought about writing it this morning even as I wrote about our weekend and all of the things we did. You've nudged me into action a
nd for that I am grateful.

This past week was a killer at work. And, this upcoming week promises more of the same. I've enjoyed my job for the first ~3 months, but the long hours on top of the long commute really drags on the psyche. On top of that, last week is the first that smelled of corporate, bureaucratic mumbo jumbo. And, I question if it's a momentary lull in the momentum we've been building or if the honeymoon is now over. I want to give it a fair shake, and to be honest since I would have to pay back a boat load of money if I left within the first two years, I will be giving it a fair shake.

I know I bring up the money and peace of mind thing a lot. And, I know most of you are thinking, she's on crack, she has more money than she knows what to do with. And, I won't say you're wrong. I recognize, I am blessed. Mr. mouse and I are fortunate. I don't discount that we work our tails off, but we have been lucky. Neither of us have been laid off. We've both consistently had jobs we enjoy enough that pay enough. Now that we've consolidated into a single household, our finances are a lot more flexible. And, I haven't mentioned this before, but, if we're diligent we could potentially pay off the mouse pad within the next two years. And, I am one to mercilessly pursue a goal if a goal is laid out in front of me. So, that's been something to keep me motivated and engaged and occupied for the near term. After year two, we'll see where we're at and re-evaluate.

Life with Mr. mouse is going well. We've both had transition points in learning to live together and we've had tempers flare. But, all-in-all, I'm glad for this time together. The ordinariness of life in general isn't necessarily a bad thing. I remember having a conversation with Mr. mouse a long long time ago about how I felt our relationship had evolved from fireworks to a gentle, but constant fire (like the Yule log) and I wasn't sure at the time if that was a good thing. A couple years the wiser, I'm relatively sure it is a good thing. I won't say we're completely settled, but things are going well enough and I'm in no rush because I recognize rushing won't make it happen any faster.

I guess that's what it comes down to. I'm content watching life sail by with it's little bumps and course corrections. No amount of stress and strain will make it go quicker nor will any amount of stress or strain make it slow down. It is what it is and, for now, I'm okay with that. I've got my Top 3 list which is really only a Top 2 list at the moment (wellness and tackling The List) but that's okay. It keeps me occupied. Who knows, maybe I'll wake up one day and feel like life has passed me by. I guess that's the risk I'm willing to take. At least for the day. Maybe 2007 will pass me by. A year of nothing after 2 years of non-stop action is okay.

Time to get ready for work. Trixie, cocktail call this week?


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

Finally weighing in - my week has been a bit nuts! And I think I'm having some firewall issues with posting comments from the office...sigh. Anyway, I'm so happy and excited for you - getting those "money" things straightened out must be such a relief. Good for you. And I love having you & Mr. Mouse as a sample of "what good looks like" - always an inspiration. Yes - cocktail call. When!? xoxoxo