Monday, November 12, 2007

Action Item #12: Community Supported Agriculture

Dear Friends and Family,

Way to pace yourself, mouse. Introducing Action Item #12, the last action item for 2007. Any more great ideas will have to wait until 2008 for implementation. No point burning yourself out.

I went back to a site I found early this fall to check on their spring sign up. And, I was giddy to find that they have a winter share program this year. Sign me up! A community supported agriculture share is a program. You pay X dollars up front and at a specified interval you go to a specified location and pick up a box of produce and other goodies.

Each program has it's own definitions, but, generally, they're organic, small producers within a close proximity of your home who grow small batches of fruits and vegetables that are picked when ripe. The one I joined, Home Grown Wisconsin, focuses on the Chicagoland area. We pick up our first box next Thursday. I can't wait.

I've been giving the food thing a lot of thought. And it becomes a crazy grid, on the left hand side are all of the major food groups (i.e. grains, vegetables, fruits, oils, dairy, meats) and on the top are a bunch of attributes (i.e. organic, food vs. "food", non-inflammatory, cholesterol, flexitarian, neighboring state, etc.). In a perfect world, I'd have all of the boxes checked. In an imperfect world, it's a lot of guessing and small changes that add up to small improvements. Joining a community supported agriculture program gets one row filled out pretty well - organic fruits and vegetables from neighboring states (reduces transportation costs to get food to the table). It'll be fun to try it and see how it goes.

2007 Action Plan
  1. 07.20: I pledge to make a difference.
  2. 07.20: I will track my electrical consumption.
  3. 07.20: I will keep the house at 78°+ for the summer.
  4. 08.16: I unplugged the blow dryer.
  5. 09.01: I tried compact fluorescent light bulbs.
  6. 09.02: I replaced the dishwasher.
  7. 10.11: I will keep the house at 50°/74° for the winter.
  8. 10.29: I started a budget, reducing my purchases.
  9. 11:01: I signed up for Residential Real Time Pricing.
  10. 11.08: I will track my "food" consumption.
  11. 11.09: I will switch from bottled to tap water at work.
  12. 11.09: I am trialing community supported agriculture.

Cheers!
mouse

No comments: