Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Budget and the Wish List

Dear Friends and Family,

Since going on a budget, I'm got a list a mile long of things I want to buy. It's really opened my eyes to how much I consume. I'm really glad I added budget to my action plan. I would have never realized the extent of it all if I hadn't.

I'm two days into the month, and I've already ordered a book on Amazon. I'm really excited about it. And, hopefully, it'll feed into my 2008 Green is Good action plan.

It cost me $27.09, so I've already consumed over a quarter of my budget for the week. I want to get my hair cutter a gift - it's our 10 year anniversary this Thursday. And, I've got my actual haircut on Thursday. See, this is where my eyes pop open. Wow, I thought I was being generous with myself in setting my budget. And, I'm struggling to stay within its confines. Eye opener.

Now, I know you only have a 10th anniversary with your hair cutter once. But, if it's not that, it's something else. There'll always be things I need to get something for. So, this is a good thing. It forces me to be creative and buy fewer things. For the gift, I'm going to dig into our sad, neglected wine collection and pick a bottle for him. I don't drink much wine anymore so it's been gathering dust for the past two years. There might even be a bottle from 1997 - which would be especially cool. There probably is one from 1997 given our inventory turns on wine. See, problem solved. Dollars spent $0.00.

What else is on my list? There's some stuff I can't avoid - my haircut, my vitamins, my Weight Watchers, my gym membership, and my train pass. I'm sure there will be others, but they're not coming to mind right now. Then, ironically, there's a ton of stuff I want to buy to add to my Green is Good list. How twisted is that? There's cloth napkins, socks (for our lower thermostat settings), water bottles, canvas tote, etc. Being on a budget is a good thing. It forces me to pace myself on all of the changes. And, that increases the likelihood that some, or all, of this will stick. And, last but not least, there's stuff on my list that I want, but don't need. The stuff that the budget really helps me keep some discipline around - cubicle hooks, ramekins, a new crock pot, shoes, and other miscellaneous stuff.

This is more fun than I thought it would be. I love a good challenge.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

i think you are aware of my fondness for the Bittman "how to cook everything" book of a few years ago. that's so exciting that there's a veggie one - I can't wait to check it out!!!

xoxoxo