Thursday, November 01, 2007

Action Item #9: Residential Real Time Pricing

Dear Friends and Family,

Earlier this week, I was out of ideas. And, just like that I've got a new item for my green changes. This is why life is good.

I've had an item on my to do list for a couple of months. Residential Real Time Pricing (RRTP) is a program ComEd offers that allows consumers to pay for electricity at a potentially lower rate. How does it work? Let's say over the span of a month, ComEd generates X amount of energy at Y cost. It divides X by Y and based upon your kWh usage, it sends you a bill. This works out to be "fair" if your average energy usage matches the overall population. But, for households like ours, that assumption doesn't hold true. Most of our usage is at night, when energy is cheaper (and demand is lower.) For households like ours, we're subsidizing the system overall. With RRTP, we pay for electricity as we use it at the going rate instead of at a blended rate.

It doesn't save the environment - since it's net carbon neutral. Our consumption doesn't change. But, it does save us money. And, theoretically, it should make us more aware of our usage during peak hours, when electricity is at it's most expensive. I called yesterday. It takes 6-8 weeks for them to install the new meter. There's a flat $2.25 per month service charge and minimum 12 month commitment.

2007 Action Plan
  1. 07.20: I pledge to make a difference.
  2. 07.20: I will track my electrical consumption.
  3. 07.20: I will keep the house at 78°+ for the summer.
  4. 08.16: I unplugged the blow dryer.
  5. 09.01: I tried compact fluorescent light bulbs.
  6. 09.02: I replaced the dishwasher.
  7. 10.11: I will keep the house at 54°/74° for the winter.
  8. 10.29: I started a budget, reducing my purchases.
  9. 11:01: I signed up for Residential Real Time Pricing.




Cheers!
mouse

No comments: