Thursday, December 20, 2007

Action Item #1: Energy Audit

Dear Friends and Family,

I know it's not 2008 yet, but I didn't want to get caught up in the details. Here's what I found in my weekend of playing with the Kill a Watt Meter. I think I can account for ~350 kWh per month of my, so far, ~500 kWh usage. The rest is a combination of overhead lighting and appliances. 150 kWh for that? I guess that's credible... I have a feeling there are more compact fluorescent light bulbs in our future.

Our monthly electrical usage (approximate, each):
  1. 120 kWh: Mr. mouse's computer
  2. 58 kWh: secondary fridge
  3. 49 kWh: primary fridge
  4. 18 kWh: TV, my computer
  5. 9 kWh: VCR, toaster oven
  6. 7 kWh: radio, dryer, computer speakers
  7. 5 kWh: lamp (on timer), router
  8. 4 kWh: printer, cable modem
  9. 3 kWh: Wii TV, VOIP box, washer, lamp
  10. 2 kWh: phone, ipod, answering machine, UPS, lamp (3)
  11. 1 kWh: Mr. mouse's alarm clock, paper shredder, Wii, palm pilot, my alarm clock, additional phones (3)
I was surprised at results. I expected the two refrigerators to be the biggest power hogs followed by the washer and the dryer. I didn't expect to see such a differential between my laptop and Mr. mouse's desktop. And, I was surprised at the numbers for some of our older electronics with less sophisticated power management systems. 9 kWh for the VCR? That puppy's going to be finding a new home in the near future. But, tops on my list? Replacing Mr. mouse's computer with a new one.

2008 Action Plan
  1. 12.20.07: I conducted a power usage audit.

Cheers!
mouse

No comments: